Become a Member of ASGW Today!
Types of Membership
ASGW membership categories include Professional, Regular, New Professional, Student, and Retired. ACA membership is not required for membership in ASGW. View our full membership brochure here or scroll down for some highlights of membership.
Professional: Professional members hold a graduate degree in counseling or a closely related field and are engaged in the teaching, practice or research of group work. Professional members have all rights and benefits of membership in ASGW.
Regular: Regular members are members who have an interest in group work, including related professional groups such as social work, psychology, and counselors from countries other than the United States. Regular members have all rights and benefits of membership in ASGW, except holding elective office.
New Professional: A New Professional is someone who has graduated with a masters or a doctorate within the past 12 months. Status is good for two years.
Student: Student members are persons who are actively enrolled in a graduate program and studying group work. Student members have all rights and benefits of membership in ASGW, except holding elective office.
Retired: Members who are retired from the counseling profession and have been active ACA and ASGW member for the past 5 consecutive years.
Benefits of Joining ASGW
- Journal for Specialists in Group Work (JSGW), a quarterly journal that publishes research and practical and innovative articles of relevance to group practitioners.
- The Group Worker, a newsletter published three times annually, providing regional and national news related to group work, legislative updates, and special articles of interest to group practitioners.
- Participation at member rates for ASGW group training events conducted in regional areas across the country. ASGW workshop coordinators work with local sponsors to offer a variety of group training workshops that provide attractive opportunities for continued professional development.
- Lower Member pricing on group resources (books, dvds, group products)
- Instant access to all issues of JSGW, the Group Worker, and Group Practice Ideas through the Member Only Login
- Access to group resources by ASGW and ASGW members
- Ability to post announcements of group related publications, resources, and meetings on ASGW listserv and website.
- Local support through state and regional organizations for specialists in group work.
Stay informed on all that is happening in Group Work!
We won't flood your inbox, but we will keep you up-to-date with electronic versions of the newsletter and exciting opportunities in ASGW.